This Certificate is the first of a new generation of Advanced Skills Development programmes. It provides students with an informed understanding of general management, together with a range of academic skills and competencies.
It is specifically designed for the student who wishes to:
- Pursue a management career in areas such as business, marketing, finance and personnel management.
- Gain the knowledge and skills required to recognise and exploit business opportunities.
- Acquire a broad-based education for a lucrative career in business and commerce.
- Acquire a business qualification of high academic standard.
- Secure a basis for further development in Business and Management Sciences.
- Demonstrate the awareness of general management skills which can be used to build further management-related competencies.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, evaluate and solve routine and new problems within the managerial environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to execute medium-sized projects as a project manager.
- Demonstrate the ability to account to a project manager of large projects.
The qualification reflects the needs of the general management sector, both now and in the future. It will include working as a leader in the context of a medium-sized enterprise or a business unit within a larger organisation. Once the learner is declared competent, they may continue into further general management competence and complexity or into management within a medium/small organisation or of their own organisation.
Accreditation and Duration
This is a part-time higher education programme accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). It is also registered at SAQA.
- Minimum – 1 year of study (part-time)
- Maximum – 2 years of study (part-time)
Learners could pursue a career as a/an:
- Business Owner
- Middle-Level Manager
- Administrative Clerks / Management (medium-sized business)
- Workshop Supervisor
- Trainee Manager
- Operations Manager
- Public Relations Practitioner
Upon successful completion of your programme, you will receive a certificate depicting: – Higher Certificate in General Management and an academic transcript. These documents will be issued at the annual graduation ceremony, couriered to the nearest branch or posted to you, provided that your account is in order.
It is the learner’s responsibility to ensure they meet all the programme requirements, before a qualification can be issued.
Study material is largely supplied in digital format only. Printed copies can be ordered at the prescribed tariffs.
Prescribed textbooks are excluded and must be procured by the student. (Terms and Conditions apply)
The College has a small number of prescribed textbooks. Should you experience undue problems to acquire your textbooks, you may enquire at the College.
Lyceum College has prescribed textbooks in the Library that can be issued for a limited period on a first come first serve basis. Should you experience undue problems to acquire your textbooks, you may enquire at the College.
A Higher Certificate at NQF Level 5 may progress to a Diploma at NQF Level 6.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) processes and Credit Accumulation and Transfer (CAT) are articulation mechanisms. The institution reserves the right to conduct a formal assessment for purposes of CAT. An evaluation will be conducted to recognise prior learning. This evaluation may or may not be based on a form of formal assessment and can include a portfolio of evidence submission. These mechanisms are in line with the HEQSF as envisaged in the NQF Act 67 of 2008 and the CHE “Policies on the Recognition of Prior Learning, Credit Accumulation and Transfer, and Assessment in Higher Education” published by the CHE in August 2016.
The final approval for applications in respects of CAT and RPL is subject to academic vetting in terms of applicable legislation and institutional policies.
Enquire at your nearest Lyceum Branch Office for more information regarding the awarding of subject credits (Credit Accumulation and Transfer – CAT) towards Lyceum Qualifications.
The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate OR equivalent. For full details on admission requirements, contact Lyceum College.